Take the guesswork out of getting natural-looking lip filler results.
Do you dream of fuller, more defined lips but worry about getting an artificial duck lip look? With advanced dermal fillers like Restylane, it’s possible to subtly enhance your natural lip shape without going overboard.
But with several different Restylane formulas to choose from, how do you determine which is best for your specific goals? This guide by Montville Medspa explores the specialized options so you can find your perfect match.
What Are the Different Types of Restylane Lip Fillers?
Restylane lip products contain hyaluronic acid (HA), a naturally occurring sugar molecule found throughout the skin. HA binds to water and helps hydrate the skin, keeping it plump and supple.
As we age, we lose HA reserves in the skin, leading to dryness, sagging, and wrinkles. Restylane HA filler supplements your body’s diminishing stores of the hydrating compound.
When injected into the lips, the gel-like formula integrates into the surrounding tissue. It has an immediate plumping effect by attracting and binding water molecules. The HA also provides structure and support to smooth out fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth.
Restylane offers several specialized lip fillers:
- Restylane Silk: The first FDA-approved HA filler specifically for lips. Provides subtle volume enhancement and addresses fine lines like the smoker’s lines around the mouth.
- Restylane Kysse: Designed for adding fullness and definition to the lip shape. Allows natural movement and retention of lip expressions.
- Restylane Lyft: Can add volume to limps while also smoothing marionette lines that extend down from the mouth.
- Restylane Refyne: Softens vertical lip lines and plumps the vermillion border of the lips.
During your consultation, we’ll assess your face shape, lip anatomy, and aesthetic goals to determine which Restylane product will give you your desired outcome. We may also combine different fillers for a customized, layered approach.
The treatment itself only takes 15-30 minutes. We apply a topical numbing cream beforehand for your comfort. Using a fine needle, the filler gel is precisely injected in small amounts into the submucosal layer just under the lip skin.
This enables even distribution and natural-looking results. Most patients feel only minor discomfort during the injections.
Studies That Prove Restylane’s Efficacy
- A meta-analysis compiling 32 studies with 1,488 participants revealed that Restylane effectively enlarged lip fullness for most patients for up to 6 months following treatment.
- A study examining 200 patients who received Restylane lip injections found 96% observed improved lips 2 weeks after treatment. At least 74% still noticed improvement at 6 months.
- A small pilot study assessing 18 patients showed 89% had fuller lips at both 1 and 3 months following Restylane injections, based on a validated scale.
What Is the Process for Getting Restylane Lip Filler Injections?
From your initial consultation to your final results, here is a step-by-step overview of what to expect with your Restylane lip filler treatment:
We’ll discuss your desired lip shape, volume, and enhancement goals. Photographs may be taken for your medical record. We’ll assess your facial anatomy and skin to determine the right Restylane product and injection plan.
A topical anesthetic cream is applied to numb the treatment area about 30 minutes prior to injections. This minimizes discomfort.
The procedure takes 15-30 minutes. Using a fine needle, the hyaluronic acid gel filler is carefully injected in small aliquots into specific sites of the lips and perioral area. Common injection points include the vermilion borders, cupid’s bow, and philtrum columns.
Some swelling and redness is normal, but the results are visible right away. Your lips will be noticeably smoothed and plumped.
Temporary swelling, tenderness, and bruising may occur and typically resolves within a few days. Arnica gel and cold compresses can help minimize side effects. Avoid strenuous activity for 24 hours.
It takes about 2 weeks for the filler to fully integrate and stabilize. Follow up in 2-4 weeks to assess if any touch-up injections are needed.
Duration of Results
Restylane lip fillers last 6-12 months for most patients. Regular touch-up appointments can maintain your desired lip volume and contour.
It’s crucial to choose an experienced injector when considering lip fillers. As facial anatomy experts, we have an artistic eye for facial balance and harmony. We’ll work with you every step of the way to help you achieve subtle, refined, and natural-looking results.
How Do I Communicate What I Want from Lip Fillers?
First and foremost, communicate actively with your provider if you want to realize your aesthetic goals with lip filler. Here are some tips for effectively conveying your vision:
- Show photos of lips you admire on celebrity faces or social media. This gives us a good reference point.
- Articulate details like wanting more definition in the cupid’s bow or a more pronounced vermilion border.
- Understand that fuller lips may need more product but avoid using vague terms like “big” or “huge.”
- Recognize that gradual build-up over multiple sessions often yields the best outcome. You shouldn’t expect dramatic changes from the first treatment.
A common concern is looking overdone or unnatural. Trust our expert eye and advanced injection techniques to enhance your lips’ shape in balanced proportions. We aim to create results tailored to your individual facial features.
While some patients want to maximize volume, a soft, subtle enhancement is often most flattering and appropriate. Lip filler should not be conspicuous but rather accentuate your natural lip contour and edges.
Who Should Not Get Restylane Lip Injections?
As with any cosmetic procedure, there are some risks associated with lip filler you should be aware of:
- Rare side effects like allergic reaction, infection or vascular compromise from injection into a blood vessel. This is why choosing an experienced injector is paramount.
- Asymmetry if the product settles unevenly on each side. Touch-ups can usually correct this.
- Overfilling that looks unnaturally puffy. Starting gradually and allowing time between treatments reduces this risk.
- Visible bumps or nodules under the skin if the filler is injected too superficially.
- Prolonged swelling, bruising or redness. This resolves with time.
Restylane lip fillers are not recommended if you have certain medical conditions, take certain medications, or are pregnant/breastfeeding. A consultation is needed to assess your individual health profile and suitability.
While lip filler offers an effective means to plump and define the lips, maintaining realistic expectations is important. Some clients wish for dramatic or pronounced augmentations that may not be wise or safe. Trust our guidance to determine a prudent treatment plan aligned with your anatomy and facial framework. Small touches can still yield profound yet natural-appearing improvements.
How Can I Make My Lip Fillers Last Longer?
Lip filler results aren’t permanent. But here are some tips to prolong your refreshed, plump pout:
- Use a moisturizing lip balm and lipstick to hydrate lips and prevent fine lines from recurring. We recommend products containing hyaluronic acid.
- Apply SPF 30+ lip balm when outdoors. UV exposure can degrade hyaluronic acid filler over time.
- Quit smoking to avoid thinning lips and wrinkles caused by pursing motions.
- Avoid too much alcohol consumption which can dehydrate skin and deplete hyaluronic acid.
- Schedule maintenance appointments approximately every 6-12 months based on your individual duration of response.
Restylane offers a proven and safe means to add subtle volume and definition to the lips and smooth away aging wrinkles using injectable hyaluronic acid fillers.
With a variety of tailored products, these treatments can enhance your natural lip shape and structure for a soft, pillowy pout. Professional guidance and gradual treatments are imperative for avoiding overfilled appearances.
We hope this guide has provided a helpful overview of everything you need to know about Restylane lip augmentation. Please reach out if you have any other questions or are ready to schedule a consultation.
What is the difference between soft lip filler and Restylane Silk?
Restylane Silk is an FDA-approved lip filler made of smooth hyaluronic acid gel to add subtle volume and smooth lip lines, while soft lip fillers is a general term.
How much does Restylane Kysse lip filler cost?
Restylane Kysse costs $600-$800 per syringe depending on factors like location and amount of filler used.
Is Restylane Silk good for smokers’ lines around the mouth?
Yes, Restylane Silk effectively reduces the appearance of fine lines around the lips including smoker’s lines with smooth gel particles that specifically treat that area.
How long should you wait between Restylane lip filler sessions?
You should wait 6-12 months between Restylane lip filler appointments to allow previous filler to fully integrate before adding more.
What to do before and after getting Restylane for lips?
Before Restylane lip injections, avoid blood thinners for 1-2 weeks; after, avoid strenuous activity for 24 hours and massage treated areas 5 minutes per day.
Why do some lip fillers, like Restylane, look bad after injection?
Some lip fillers like Restylane can look bad if too much is injected at once or into the wrong part of the lips, overfilling them unnaturally.
Are the effects of Restylane lip filler immediate?
Yes, Restylane lip fillers provide immediate subtle to moderate lip plumping results after the injection appointments.
What are typical Restylane lip filler aftercare instructions?
Typical aftercare for Restylane lip fillers is to avoid touching or massaging lips for 6 hours, skip makeup for 12 hours, avoid extreme heat or cold, and use antiviral medication if prone to cold sores.